Wednesday, September 7, 2011

This Book Needed Help


Here it is, the exception to the rule. A movie that is WAY better than it's book.
I know, I know. I am pretty much in the minority here. Everyone LOVED the book, everyone READ the book, everyone told everyone they knew to read the book.
Sorry, I only finished it because it was assigned for my book club. Otherwise I would have stopped about half way. Where was the editor? Why did we have to read all that drama about Skeeter and her mom and boyfriend. Pointless I say. But, I know, YOU all LOVED it.
Well, for once I was happy to see a book turned into a movie. My first thought when I saw a preview was "Oh good. I'd LIKE the movie version!" And I was right!! I thought they made all the editing cuts that should have been done in the first place. 6 chapters down to one screaming match (THANKYOU!) and alot of pointless conversation implied by a few brief scenes (YEP).
**spoiler alert** I have to say my one objection was how they changed the story of Constantine (Skeeter's maid) and her daughter. My first clue was when they revealed some information in practically the first scene that in the book was saved till the end. Hmmm. But, then I saw why...they changed the whole story. Was the point not to make us hate the mother? This mystery was the whole motivation for Skeeter to begin the book from the point of view of the help. In my opinion, the story revealed in the movie was not a big enough payoff. I preferred the shock value of the story in the book.
Well, the bottom line here is that there is something for everyone. If you loved the book you will definately enjoy the movie. If you don't intend to read the book, then the movie is wonderful.
What did you think? Love to hear your thoughts!

Photo from here

No comments:

Post a Comment