Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Can Paint!



Here is the project update I promised you previously. This is another Pinterest inspiration post. Let me begin by saying that Eric chose the tile in this bathroom when we built the house. It has been plaguing me from that day forward.....until NOW! You see, it is one of those patterns that has various tiles in the set. There are basically four different tiles, each with a different color (a slate, a goldish, a pinkish, a gray). Do you KNOW what it has been like to try to choose a wall color or a towel color to go with these?? 

It's the darn undertones...nothing I liked looked good. Here is what would happen. I would pick a color I thought was clearly a neutral brown or gray at the store. I would get home and it would be totally green? or pink? or peach? I'm telling you; it's the darn undertones. I take no leave of them, I send no compliments to their mothers! (Sorry, I had a Pride and Prejudice moment there)

I just lived with nice builder white for several years. Then one day I couldn't take it. I just grabbed the color we had the most of in the house, a peachy beige from the living room and had at it (that's the top/before picture). It was a change. I don't know if it was ever an improvement. It was just something else to look at. Have you ever just NOT been able to look at builder white a moment longer? Well, I knew the color was still wrong but I didn't know how to fix it. 

Then one day I was standing in the shower when I noticed that whatever random body wash mesh sponge thingy (I'm sure that's the technical name) I had was looking REAL nice with the tile. I let some time pass but each time I took a shower I thought 'I think this might make a good wall color in here'. Then my mesh sponge thingy and I took a trip to Home Depot. (BTW, don't you LOVE those new HUGE color cards they have now, like the size of 4x6 photos?? They really help). The winner was Mid Day Mocha from Glidden. It is a gray with purple undertones (purple, it was a purple undertone I needed. Ah HA! Gonna beat you now demon tile!)

Then I had to wait....wait....wait for the Labor Day rebate sale (you DO know that most major holidays you can get a $5 rebate on your gallon paint purchase at the old HD, right?) Now, the hard part. I have never painted a room. I mean, I HAVE helped. I have cut in or moved drop cloths or ya know, directed (when I was pregnant) but Eric has always done the bulk of the work. This time he was occupied with one of his freelance jobs so it was all up to me. And I am happy to say two things: 
1) I can paint a room! 
2) I LOVE the color (and Eric does too). 

This makes me happy! Have you painted anything recently? What is your process? 

No comments:

Post a Comment