Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Can't Teach Young Dogs New Tricks

So, my latest food craze comes from a lecture I went to on nutrition at my fitness conference. She had TONS to say about everything (dairy, wheat, dyes, artificial sweeteners, organic) and she gave lots of great resources. I have heard of many of them and have already read or watched quite a bit on this. (Think: Food INC. and Skinny Bitch)

But, it's a journey isn't it? Trying to figure out what you think is just a good idea, what you believe in, and what you will actually commit to? Even though Eric thinks I am just swapping plans constantly, I know that I am slowly refining what I bring into the house so that we can be both healthy AND happy! It's easier said than done. I feel a TON of responsibility as the grocery shopper about what I am teaching my kids about food. I feel responsible for the weight of Eric and I as well. Maybe I am taking on too much responsibility. But, I know that 90% of what they eat comes out of my fridge and my pantry and I'm the one that fills them.

So, I took ONE thing she said at the conference and tried to apply it. It was this: "Just eat real food". So, I am back to reading labels and trying to tweak where we are. Force us ONE MORE baby step in the right direction.

Successes:
1) They both happily ate the almond milk ice cream sandwiches at dinner last night!
2) They both accepted natural peanut butter on their Ezekiel English muffins (Eric & I already like Ezekiel).
3) I love a Lara Bar and a Wasa bread with natural peanut butter for a snack (and I'm gonna take a shot at making my own soon).

Fail:
I tried switching Evie to Muesli. She has been eating 1/2 and 1/2 quick oats with a flavored Quaker oats packet. Yeah, that did NOT go well. She resisted, she cried, then she threw it up.

Ah well!

So, no, everything isn't organic (still working on that). Everything isn't wheat free (tried that, it was a bust). I plan to keep eggs. I AM trying to eliminate cow milk without turning to soy (due to hormone concerns). No, I won't give up cheese. And, NO, I have yet to say goodbye (with success) to diet soda. Baby steps, baby steps!



What are you doing for more healthy eating? How do you handle all the conflicting information? What do we DO when words like 'cage free' and 'free range' are being diluted by folks meeting the minimum standards?

 Photo from here, here, and here

No comments:

Post a Comment