Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vow not Wow

My good friend Reagan and I try to go to a movie once a month. It's a goal. So far we are 2 out of 3. At least we are ahead! We usually see total girl movies which works for me. This month we were down to either The Vow or This Means War. We chose The Vow and I think we made the right decision although I'm sure I will catch the other on DVD.

*Spoilers*

 The story was completely engaging. And it's one of those movies where you can't really complain about the plot because it's based on a true story! Hahahaha

I realize that I don't think I have seen Mr. Tatum in a movie before and I was surprised at his emotional range cause he just looks like kind of an angry buff guy in pictures.

Then there was Rachel McAdams. The problem with her is that I kept thinking about all the other guys she has been in movies with. And I haven't even SEEN some of those movies. I kept thinking: What about that guy who wrote you the letters and you didn't know till later??? What about that guy who kept popping up in your life at different points??? I have not seen either of those movies but I think it's clear she has done a few too many of this genre when I start to feel she's cheating on the other movies with her current one!!

Jessica Lange looked really old and that made me sad but the 'Jurrasic Park' guy looks just the same as always and was well cast as the snobby dad. I felt glad that if I HAD to look at the guy who totally STOLE Felicity from Noel then at least he was a despicable character in the movie (You may have picked up on the fact that I have Felicity series finale issues- it was SOOO wrong!).

My favorite plot point was that two people revealed the same secret to the lead actress and she reacted completely differently to it based on the motivations of the character. I thought to myself how accurate that is to life. We are all just looking for someone to trust. When you can completely trust someone they can tell you just about anything and you don't freak out (much). But when that trust isn't there - one stumble and we lose all faith in them, ourselves, in everything.

Recommendation: Rent it.

Have you seen the Reese movie? Should I even bother to rent it? What else has Mr. Tatum been in?? Surely I have seen him somewhere.

Photo from here

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Tracie.. pretty good review! Spot on! I agree about the guy buff stuff.. I thought he'd be more like Julia's guy in my best friend's wedding..but he was more than 1D. And he did great at giving Scott/Ben what he needed from the rest of us Felicity viewers.. a great punch of reality :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EX-cellent reference to the Julia MBFW guy. That is EXACTLY like what I was thinking he'd be like. Go TEAM NOEL!!

      Delete
  2. I saw This Means War last week. It was a really fun twist on the standard Rom-Com, two-guys-one-girl plot. With all the action and explosions thrown in, I'd call it an Action-Rom-Com. Fun for guys and girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. Thanks Adam. Perhaps it's just as well then that it worked out this way since Eric might like to watch it as well!

      Delete
  3. Jill and I also saw 'this means war' we enjoyed it ,had a few laughs. typical chick fare (cute guys) and completely predictable but fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I will definately rent this one. Sounds like we really could not have gone wrong with either one!

      Delete