Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Week with Kacie & Marilyn

Well between the shopping, the chocolate factory tour, and the PS3 games (Michael Jackson Experience- can I just say that is a WORKOUT baby!!) we barely had time to watch all these movies Hahahahaha. You have to remember that although we got out plenty during the day, when the sun went down it was COLD!

Now, I would be content to watch Breaking Dawn for the millionth time, but when I am with my sister my movie IQ goes up several notches. My sister is the one who would always meet me downtown and at Greenway Plaza for the movies you can't always see WAY out here in the boondocks of Pearland! I sure do miss her. Last time I visited we saw Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (which was lovely btw).

This time we took in FOUR movies (the other two are reviewed over here and are still in theater). These two are on DVD already.

*Spoilers*

Young Adult: Now THIS is how I expect an independent film to run. It is all there-- way too real scenario, overindulgent lead character, and unhealthy relationships. And, you guessed it, not a lot of happy endings here. I did enjoy the movie- I really got a kick out of her writing inspiration sources (hahahahaha). I didn't think it had the power of Juno or Up in the Air (as billed).

Recommendation: If you want to get depressed rent this baby. If you are depressed or about to attend your high school reunion maybe skip it. :)

My Week with Marilyn: I liked the story. It is supposed to be based on a true events. But, I don't know if you can ever trust that when it comes to Marilyn Monroe and Elvis. It seems everyone has a story to tell if they can make a buck. Michelle Williams had her moments of transcending into Marilyn but I think I still thought I was watching Michelle Williams from Dawson's Creek days with different makeup. As for the supporting cast, it was a who's who of British movies. You will recognize just about everyone (even Hermione trying not to play Hermione, but failing I think). Again, not exactly a happy ending but not depressing either.

Recommendation: Rent it. It's a nice coming of age story with Marilyn thrown into the mix.

Both movies offered a glimpse into the life of someone else. These type of movies always remind me of the old Star Trek motto about only observing new life and new civilizations but not interfering. You are just supposed to watch these people self destruct and then go on. So that's what I did :D

Photos from here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment