Sunday, February 19, 2012

While the Cat is Away

Eric was out for the evening and so I had some time to kill....ok, I wanted to watch something I KNEW he would mock: Abduction (aka 'that movie with the Twilight guy'). He was already mocking ME for even wanting to watch it. He said I wasted a $1.20 to rent it at Redbox.

Rotten Tomatoes gave this movie a rating of 4%. But, you may already know, I KINDA have a Jacob obsession. Needless to say, I went into this with just about the lowest expectations possible.

However, lo and behold, this was actually a pretty good movie. If you squint your eyes you can see a young Tom Cruise playing a 'Matt Damon in the Bourne series' type character. I have to say I'm not really sure why this movie didn't do better. It has alot of the elements of any thriller franchise. The cast is ALL substantial: Maria Bello, Sigourney Weaver, it goes on and on like that. I felt the adrenaline in the chases, the frustration of the characters trying to figure things out, and the romance was believeable (and I could NOT say that for Bourne, btw!).

Now, given, it does start off like a version of Footloose, or any teen drama where the scenes scream 'here is where we are establishing the characters folks so pay attention!!'. And clearly, they are using all the things Jacob  *ahem* I mean, Taylor, is already known for to launch him. But, I thought he carried it. The love interest was a cutie, hope we see more of her. I think she could have possibly pulled off Katniss in Hunger Games.

Sure it wasn't a 90% movie, but 4%??, I think some people are down on my boy Jacob *ahem*, Taylor. If anything I am the one who should be jaded by all my YA romance/sci-fi books. I admit, you HAVE seen this movie before (see: the oft mentioned Bourne franchise) but that's no reason to toss it in the dumpster. I mean it seems like every movie OUT there is a remake. I say, give it a shot. You know, if you like Jacob...darn it, I mean TAYLOR! :D

Photo credit here

No comments:

Post a Comment