Thursday, July 12, 2012

Way Behind!

I guess there are just some movies you don't pay any attention to when you do not have kids. Recently we have been discovering some of these classics kid movies for the first time. Here are three we have determined to be winners. 


First, Spy Kids. How could we have missed this? I mean there are THREE sequels and a LOT of stars in it (at least the original-- Hello George Clooney cameo!) Well, 11 years later we are running this movie on permanent replay. I suggested it to the kids after I got REALLY REALLY tired of watching Shark Boy and Lavagirl. (And with Jacob Taylor Lautner as Sharkboy, that is really saying something). Fortunately for me they took the bait. Now we just have to get 2, and 3, and apparently 4. *sheesh* is George Lucas behind these?

Our next 'what do you mean you haven't seen that?!?!?' title is Rio. I was sitting there thinking 'hey that's Anne Hathaway and the guy from Facebook'. They aren't B-list actors. It was a cute movie but what I loved the most was that my little guy Everett was full-on cracking up during several scenes. It put a huge smile on my face to see him so tickled. We still need to borrow this from the library so Evie can watch it. *a special shout-out to Meghan and Chrissy for making sure we DID get to see this* :D


The final title is Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. I actually remember sitting through the original preview in the theater. I recall feeling embarrassed for Michael Caine that he would be working with Dwayne Johnson on any movie. This summer that preview played back in my mind. This time I saw it through the eyes of my kids. A treasure hunt, a volcano, a submarine....hmmmm they might like this movie! And for $1 a person (Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse totally rocks) we could always walk out if it was too horrible. 

Not to worry! They were enthralled. Everett got SO excited about the volcano and the submarine I'm actually surprised we haven't watched it again already. And here is the real surprise- I really enjoyed it myself! Dwayne is actually not hard to watch. He's comedic, not bad at the serious stuff, believable as the dad. I was sorry I hadn't believed in him. And Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) was in it! I actually think he did better in this movie (and as a brunette) than Hunger Games but that's another post!


What old movies are new again for you? Let me know....we may have missed those too!

Photos from here, here, and here

No comments:

Post a Comment