Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lime Time





















Why did I wait so long to make my own ice cream? I have never EVER tried this before. But, I remembered that my mother-in-law has this awesome vintage Kitchen Aid and recently got the ice cream maker attachment.

She was totally up for letting me borrow it and give it a try. I was a little intimidated with putting it all together (especially since it was not mine) but I figured it out and was ready to go. Then I read the first instruction. "Remove ice cream freezer base from the freezer (allow a minimum of 15 hours to freeze)" Um....oops. Guess I won't be making the ice cream TODAY I thought Hahahahahaha!! I put that baby in the freezer pronto.

Skip ahead to today. Attempt #2. All put together and ready again (this time with the freezer base frozen!). It was so fun to watch that batter slowly puff up and get all creamy and thick. And, of course, I had a few taste tests...YUM. It already tastes great (I made key lime pie flavor)! I stirred in the lime zest and the graham crackers and put it in my freezer safe bowl to freeze for when hubby and his dad get home from their father's day movie and can try it officially frozen. But, already, I am gonna call this a success!

Have you made homemade ice cream? Did you think it was worth it (time, money, effort)? Have an amazing recipe to send my way?

1 comment:

  1. I made it once quite a few years back. I had an ice cream machine. But over the years pieces have been lost.
    I did like it better than the kind you buy and I have thought about getting one again.

    ReplyDelete